VLC is an open-source cross-platform media player that provides a very fast, open-source and user-friendly way of playing multimedia and supports almost all audio and video formats. It is among the ideal PC media players due to the fast and easy nature that doesn’t involve any painstaking actions. The absolutely free media player supports streaming content, and you may also extend its functionality with the aid of downloadable plugins. Most importantly VLC is a completely free media player with no spyware, no ads, and no user tracking.
The VLC media player also lets users optimize audio and video playback for virtually any device of your choice. You are also able to make use of OpenSubtitles.org to display subtitles.
The VLC media player is also readily available for different platforms, providing you with excellent compatibility with various media formats on nearly any gadget.
Platforms Supported: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS, Android
Features of VLC Media Player
- VLC runs on all versions of Windows, from Windows XP SP3 to the last version of Windows 10.
- Convert Audio or Video Files to Any Format.
- Stream or Download YouTube Videos.
- Record an Audio or Video.
- Record Your Desktop and Webcam.
- Capture a Screenshot VLC from the video
- Create Bookmarks.
- Ability to set the Video as a Wallpaper.
- Add Watermarks On Videos.
- Play Internet Radio & Subscribe to Podcasts
- It can be used to RIP the DVD
- Plays all files, in all formats, like the classic VLC.
- Audio and video media library, with full search and history.
- Support for network streams, including HLS and Dash.
- Support for NAS and shared drives browsing.
- Supports Android Version 2.2 (platform-8) or later.
- Supports ARMv7, ARMv8 / AArch64, MIPS and x86.
- Support Android TV.
- Support Chromebooks.
- Subtitles support, embedded and external, including ASS and DVD subtitles.
- Multi audio or subtitles tracks selection.
- Multi-core and full hardware decoding.
- Gestures, headphones control.
- Audio equalizer and filters.
- Supports secondary display.
- Supports 360 video and 3D audio.
- Play all files, in all formats, including exotic ones, like a classic VLC media players.
- Play MKV, multiple audio tracks (including 5.1), and subtitles tracks (including SSA!).
- Support for network streams, including HLS, MMS or RTSP.
- Include video filters, playback speed manipulation, and fine seeking.
- A media library, with WiFi Uploads & Downloads, Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, OneDrive & Box.com integration and optional passcode lock.
- Web Interface for easy uploads and downloads to/from the device.
- Integration for Bluetooth headsets and AirPlay.
- Full support for file servers (SMB / Windows shares and FTP)
- Local Network service discovery with UPnP and native support for Plex
- On-the-fly audio and subtitles track synchronization
- Supports iOS 9.0 or later
- Full 64bit support on latest iPhone and latest iPad
- Apple Watch extension to control playback, browse the library and more
Completely free, libre and open source.
Supported Video Format
MPEG-1/2, DivX® (1/2/3/4/5/6), MPEG-4 ASP, XviD, 3ivX D4, H.261, H.263 / H.263i, H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC, Cinepak, Theora, Dirac / VC-2, MJPEG (A/B), WMV 1/2, WMV 3 / WMV-9 / VC-1, Sorenson 1/3, DV, On2 VP3/VP5/VP6, Indeo Video v3 (IV32), Real Video (1/2/3/4).
Supported Audio Format
MPEG Layer 1/2, MP3 – MPEG Layer 3, AAC – MPEG-4 part3, Vorbis, AC3 – A/52, E-AC-3, MLP / TrueHD>3, DTS, WMA 1/2, WMA 3, FLAC, ALAC, Speex, Musepack / MPC, ATRAC 3, Wavpack, Mod, TrueAudio, APE, Real Audio, Alaw/µlaw, AMR (3GPP), MIDI, LPCM, ADPCM, QCELP, DV Audio, QDM2/QDMC, MACE.
Pros and Cons of VLC Media Player
- Needs no additional codecs. All the codes are preinstalled
- It is free, open-source and cross-platform
- Ability to convert the media from one format to another
- Support online streaming
- Adds-on can be used to extend its core functionalities
- UI is intuitive and user-friendly
- Includes Blu-Ray playback support
- There is no library management you can just create playlists
- Playback can be choppy when you are playing 4K quality videos
4 VLC Media Player Alternatives and similar sites.
The best VLC Media Player alternatives based on verified reviews and community votes.
Latest update: May 21, 2022